Tuesday, November 18, 2008

More Parties!

Last weekend, Madigan and I made a trip to Texas to celebrate another party - this time Mema's 75th Birthday!!! It was a very fun time. And yes, for those of you that know my Mema, she does still have more energy than I have ever had - even at 75 years young. :)

We arrived at my parent's on Friday afternoon. It didn't take long for Madigan to make herself at home. Here she is rocking in a Madigan-sized rocker...in the living room...while watching TV. The kid's got it rough. One small kink in this trip - it was COLD!! So before she could do all of the activities outside, we had to bundle her up. Of course, her coat and tennis shoes would not do. She wanted to wear Gee Gee's coat and her "Hello Kitty" slippers.
I thought this was a cute picture. Ted says she looks like a little British kid. Of course Gee Gee made time for some Yard Bug rides.Even the babies got to go for a ride...
But this time, Pa and Gee Gee had an even bigger surprise for Madigan. Pa had built a super cool swing set that had HORSE swings! Here's the progression Madigan went through in warming up to these unfamiliar animals. At first, she wanted nothing to do with swinging on them. However, she thought petting them was pretty fun.
Maybe it's okay to sit on them if Mommy is riding too...Sitting on a horse with a death grip and a terrified expression...Hmm...maybe I can cheese it up for some picturesAnd finally - Look Mom, no hands!Obviously, the horses were a hit. Pa, Madigan and I even named the three horses - "Giddy-Up-Go", "Wild Thing", and "Black Beauty". Creativity runs deep in this family.

All of that, and the party hadn't even started! But we didn't have to wait too much longer. Everyone started arriving on Saturday around lunch time. And I mean everyone! Mema's sister, Papa's two sisters and sister-in-law, my uncle, aunt and cousin, and several of my mom's cousins were able to come. Here's a picture of everyone except my Aunt D'Anne (who was taking the picture) and my dad (who refused to be in the picture - remember the last post about the adults in my family who despise photos...)And Madigan was the only person under the age of 20-something. Do you think she got some attention?!! Do you think she enjoyed that?! I'd say so.
Here's a sweet picture of Mema and Papa posing with Mema's cake.
And here's a picture of Mema and Papa inviting Madigan to look at the cake. I was standing directly behind her ready to pull her back if she lunged for the icing...I love this picture - this is Mema and Aunt Carmeen (Papa's 90 year old sister!) laughing hysterically over some gift. I don't even remember what it was, but it must have been good.
We had a wonderful time and are so glad we got to celebrate this event. Happy Birthday Mema! We look forward to #80...and 90...and 100, etc :)

No comments: