Thursday, December 03, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009 & Fishing

For Thanksgiving this year, we headed to the great state of Texas. Our first stop was to see my best friend's son Hudson... oh yeah, and his parents too! Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures (I think I'm going to blame you for that, Lexie). Still, we loved the time we got to spend with them and were sad we couldn't stay any longer. But, West Texas was calling our names, so we got back in the car and headed to Graham, Texas where my grandparents live and where the best Thanksgiving meal known to man is served every year, courtesy of my Mema. The kids both did great on the trip, but they were thrilled to be out of the car and stretch out!
Before I get to the Thanksgiving festivities, how about some Christmas?! Since we won't be seeing my grandparents for Christmas, we went ahead and celebrated on Wednesday night! As you can see, Madigan got just a FEW fun things (note the sarcasm). Our favorite though was her reaction to this sheep that sings and walks. She thought it was the coolest thing ever!
Paxton also got quite a bit of presents. Here's a picture of him with his new blue teddy bear. The excitement of Christmas in November had worn him completely out!Now that Christmas was over, we were ready for Thanksgiving! :) Here's Madigan watching the Macy's Day parade in a chair she thought was made just for her.

Paxton got to see a lot of people in Graham. Of course, there was Pa...and Gee Gee.
But he also got to meet all three of his great grandparents on this trip. Here he his with Great Granddad (my dad's dad). Paxton is Granddad's 17th great grandchild! We were so glad he got to come spend Thanksgiving Day with us.
We finally got Madigan to stop long enough to snap a picture with Granddad.
Paxton also met Mema and Papa (my mom's parents) for the first time. He was just sad he didn't get to eat Mema's cooking this trip!

Whacha doing, Papa?
A picture of us all - as you can see, one person was not too happy at the moment. Actually, two of us were not very happy, but I still smiled as I whispered threats through my teeth. :)After we left Mema and Papa's, we stopped in for a short visit with my great-aunt, Auntie, so she could meet Paxton as well.
Do you know of any other 87 year old women who can plop down in the floor to visit and then pop right back up? Yes, that's right - EIGHTY SEVEN!!
Paxton also met Aunt D'Anne, Uncle Greg, Taylor and Brady, but again I did a very poor job of taking pictures. :( I don't know who I'm going to blame this time... Ted maybe?
Anyway, we had a WONDERFUL visit and were so glad to have the chance to see everyone. Before leaving, Gee Gee took Madigan fishing on Mema and Papa's lake.
She looks like quite a fisherwoman, huh?! Truth be told, she fished for about 5 minutes and then hit the water with a stick while "calling the fish"!
Papa was glad to have another buddy to fish with!
And Paxton and I just hung out, enjoying the fun!
Family picture...Unfortunately, they didn't catch anything while fishing in Graham. Could have been because they were using turkey as bait, but what do I know? However, Madigan got another chance to fish when we made it to Pa and Gee Gee's. Her favorite part this time? The worms!!
Daddy tried to impart all of his fishing knowledge to her...while Pa and Gee Gee showed her all of their tricks.
However, everyone apparently forgot to prepare her for what it would be like if they actually CAUGHT a fish. And when that happened, Madigan freaked out!

After some comforting, rationalizing, and desensitization therapy, Madigan finally warmed up to the idea of catching fish and even touched the 4th one! She was quite proud of herself for that!
Another memorable part of the trip, playing instruments with Pa. Play those tiny cymbals, Pa!

Is he beating her with the maracas?!Before we knew it, it was time to go. But you can't leave without the family pictures on the porch!

And the grandparent picture (which my dad LOVES - again, sarcasm...)It was a fantastic trip minus the torrential downpour that we drove home in. We have been unbelievably blessed and enjoyed spending time with our family this Thanksgiving. Hope yours was wonderful as well!

1 comment:

Growin' Owens said...

Ok, I'll take the blame. I forgot too when I wanted to post it on my blog that week. Oops! Poor Hudson & Paxton have no proof of their blossoming friendship!
Favorite part of this blog -
"FISH, FISH, FISH, FISH, FISH" That is so what I say too!